The Neuroscience Interdepartmental Graduate Program wants your application process to be as easy as possible. Therefore, the links listed to the left provide you with access to application materials, admissions and application information, along with answers to frequently asked questions.
If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact our program office at any time.
A four-year university degree (the equivalent of a bachelor's degree) is required. Applicants should have an undergraduate or advanced degree in one of the basic or applied sciences. Typical program disciplines include majors in biochemistry, biology, human medicine, immunology, physiology, pharmacology, psychology, veterinary medicine, or zoology. Appropriate undergraduate coursework includes mathematics, chemistry, physics, and biological sciences.
The program accepts applications for graduate study year-round; however, most assistantship and fellowship decisions are made by the end of March. To have the best chance of qualifying for financial support, your complete application (including transcripts and letters of recommendation) must be received by January 15 for admission for the fall semester. Application files will NOT be reviewed by the admissions committee until all of the required forms have been submitted to program office. Please refer to the Pre-Application Checklist to ensure that you are providing all required materials.
The Neuroscience Program and Iowa State University are committed to the concept and practice of affirmative action and do not discriminate on the basis of age, color, creed, handicap, national origin, race, religion, sex, or any other classification that deprives the person of consideration as an individual.
Initiating the Application Process
- Application begins with submission of a pre-application form. There is no fee for the submission and review of the NEURO application! All NEURO applications MUST be submitted in full by January 15th.
- Please submit the Neuroscience Program application online. This form can be found at http://www.neuroscience.iastate.edu/application/apply.php.
In addition to submitting the online program application, please submit the following materials in ONE packet and mail to the address below.
- Official academic records from each previous institution attended, in sealed envelopes. Iowa State transcripts will be provided at no cost.
- Three letters of recommendation. Please have letters written on OFFICIAL letterhead and placed in a sealed envelope that has the recommender's signature across the seal. The following Neuroscience confidential report form should accompany each letter of recommendation.
Examination Results: Please include photocopies of each examination
result in your self-managed application packet. If a program admission offer is made to
you, official test scores will need to be sent directly from ETS to Iowa
State, but only if an offer is made.
- Graduate Records Examination (GRE) and/or appropriate Subject Test
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (for nonnative English speakers only.)
- Statement of Purpose, Goals, and Research Interests
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae (Please include a description of previous honors, scholarships, research activities, publications, and outstanding extracurricular work.)
Once complete, please mail your pre-application packet of materials in
ONE ENVELOPE to:
2018 Molecular Biology Building
Iowa State University
DO NOT submit the Iowa State University Graduate College Application UNLESS you have been notified by the Neuroscience Program Office to do so. It is important that you follow the above directions carefully to ensure that your application will be reviewed by the Neuroscience Admissions Committee. All application materials must be received by January 15th in order to be considered for financial assistance and fall admission.
Reviewing your Neuroscience Application Packet
The Neuroscience Admissions Committee will review your complete application (see above required materials) and will make a decision regarding a program offer of admission. All program offers of admission are contingent upon your acceptance by the Iowa State University Graduate Admissions Office. Should the NEURO Program extend an offer of admission to you, and you decide to accept our offer, we will assist you in submitting your Graduate College Application form and pay the associated application fee.